Monday, October 02, 2006

"Balance, Daniel-san."

It's all about balance, really. Something bad will happen, and then something good will happen. Take for instance last week. On Monday I got an email from the YMCA saying that they are canceling the 3-day self-defense clinic due to lack of sign ups. They feel that the hectic schedule during the month of September was a reason behind the cancellation. People were just too darn busy!

At first I fought for keeping the clinic, working on my own to secure some interested students. But alas, I agreed to the cancellation for two reasons: 1) it was difficult for folks to change their schedules on such short notice and 2) I was sick as a dog!

Last week I had a pretty bad cold, and was out of commission for the equivalent of two days. I needed the rest. Still I felt pretty disappointed about giving up on the clinic.

Then on Thursday, my office manager, Randy informed me that he nominated me for a company award for the previous fundraising clinic. I was written up in the company newsletter, along with a couple other folks from other offices who organized some pretty unique community service events on behalf of the company. It felt great to be nominated, and to be named with that group of people. And I actually got a little prize. It's a silver star shaped award currently housed on my office bookshelf.

It was really nice of Randy to put my name in. It was an unexpected pleasure.

Balance.

No comments: