Sunday, October 07, 2007

Ali-Come-Lately Part 2 - All Time Best List

As I mentioned in the previous post, I'm kind of a "Johnny-Come-Lately" when it comes to cool media. I remember back in the day, say around '94, '95 or so, a friend of mine once suggested that I check out this cool new rapper named "Biggie Smalls". The little exposure to Biggie I had at the time lead me to believe that he sucked at rapping and I would hate his "bling-bling-party-all-night" message. Cut to two years later, I'm hooked on the Ready to Die album, and starting to place the Notorious B.I.G. in the All Time Best rapper list.


So in an effort to take some personal inventory, I present the following top 5 list of media that have been recommended by friends, and a follow up explination of why I have/haven't checked it out yet.


1. Heroes, TV show.



I actually tried watching the first episode when this show came out, but for some reason I didn't get into it. Everyone I know swears I would love it. I have some reservations, but I've decided to ZipList the first season. Hopefully I'll get to it after I complete season 5 of Angel.



On a side note, I've been a long time fan of Hayden Panettiere, and I am pretty glad she's been getting some big time notice for her acting.
In my opinion she's never better than she was in the HBO film Normal. Here's hoping she does well and doesn't get too chewed up by Hollywood.


2. Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels, movie.


Guy Ritchie's first film. My brother swears I'll love it.
Tried watching it last night, was bored out of my mind. I re-watched Deathproof instead.


3. Battlestar Galactica, TV show.


Jenni and Eric suggested I get into the new series. Given that they were the one who suggested Firefly, I'm going to give this one a healthy chance. Already ZipListed, buddy!


4. Transformers, movie.

I don't really care if I see this one or not because a) Michael Bay movies generally suck and depress the hell out of me; and b) can't get much better than the original Transformers: The Movie.

"You've got the Touch! You've got the POWWWERRRRR! Yeah!"


5. Neverwhere, novel
Again, Eric suggested that I read this one. Since he took my advice and read the Dark Tower series, I'm gonna take his advice and read this book. I must admit though, I am a bit worried 'cause last year Eric suggested that I read Chapter 1 of Gödel, Escher & Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid, by D. R. Hofstadter, and frankly I couldn't get past Chapter 1.



It was just too mind blowing for me. Eric is, well... I wouldn't call him a "genius" but he is smarter than the average bear (I'm sure Jenni will comment on that last remark...), and if this book is as complex as "GEB", well, let's just say I require way more passive reading entertainment.


Bonus Item. Doctor Who, TV show


Sarah is all about the new, revamped Dr. Who series. I frankly, could never get into Dr. Who. I will admit that Christopher Eccleston is pretty interesting as the 9th Doctor, and thus somewhat more watchable than the others.
I really liked him in that BBC/CBC joint production of Othello but, I just don't see myself screening any episodes anytime soon (unless Sarah decides to buy the DVD's and lend them to me... no bootlegs, please...).
By the way, I have the perfect name for Dr. Who fans. You know how Star Trek fans are called "Trekkies". Well, Dr. Who fans should be called "Re-TARDIS" y'know, like "retarded" but not really....
...whatever.
Buh-bye!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Eric is always leading us astray. He suggested The Illuminatus Trilogy by Shea and Wilson and I couldn't get past the fourth chapter.

Wily Jeneric said...

First, Eric suggested Battlestar all by himself. I've never seen an episode.

Second, it was I who suggested Neverwhere to Eric, then to you. It is a light, easy read. The BBC production is creepy but good.

Third, Eric is so a genius, just don't tell him I said so. He's got all the hallmarks: bad dress (look at how he dresses poor Baby Jeneric!), bad house keeping skills (I have come home to see breakfast still out), and he doesn't know the latest celebrity gossip.

Anonymous said...

Whatever. Doctor who is awesome... though I guess a large portion of the reason I like it (David Tennant - woot!) is not so applicable. I vote you get a computer that can play dvds and divex files and I'll lend you the bootlegs.

I know what you mean about the recommendations list. So far I've got A Game of Thrones recommended by Paul, Lost and Grey's Anatomy recommended by everyone, and I don't want to start listing movies. Its embarrassing.

Anonymous said...

got dumped here by google, had to leave my 2 cents.

season 1 doctor who- brilliant. can't vouch for the rest yet.

Neverwhere, also amazing, and free if you get it from the library. Or go to neilgaiman.com, he always has some free writings posted there, and was debating putting an entire novel up for free this spring.