Monday, May 15, 2006

The Martial Arts Blues

(Author’s Note: This poem is based on an Asian folk tale that was told to me when I first started Tang Soo Do. It is also based on the Blues song Dead Letter, by Son House. It is my intention, with this offering, I do honor to both. AKW 11/Mar/2006)


A young warrior walked up to an old master an’ this is what he said,
“Better duel with me old man, or my sword will cut you down dead!”
A young warrior stepped to the master, an’ listen to what he said,
“You better face me in a duel, or I will hunt you ‘til you’re dead.”

The master looked at the warrior an’ saw nothing but the truth.
He saw the search for fame and glory in the eyes of that heartless youth. The old man looked and the warrior, and saw nothing but the truth.
He saw the story of his death in the eyes of that heartless youth.


The master said: “Listen here young man, I’ve lived a long, hard life.
I’ve seen to many people die. Don’t want no fuss or strife.”
He said: “Go a way young man. I’ve lived too long and hard a life.
I was just like you once. Don’t want no more fuss or strife.”

The warrior laughed at the master and turned a deaf ear.
Despite all the wise words, the warrior just wouldn’t hear.
The warrior laughed at the old man and then turned a deaf ear.
No matter how much the old man pleaded, the youngster just wouldn’t hear.

So they faced off under the shadow of an old oak tree.
The master saw that it was just as thick and old as he.
The two men faced each other, under the shadow of an old oak tree.
The old man saw that the lumber was just as gnarled and hoary as he.

The master said: “Before we do battle I need to practice a little first.
The warrior pointed to the tree and said: “Old man, do your worst!”
“Oh my stiff and aching joints, I need to loosen ‘em up first.”
The warrior pointed to the tree and said: “Old campaigner, do your worst.”

The old man bowed to the oak tree, from crown to root,
and then attacked the lumber, using only hand and foot.
The master bowed to oak tree, giving honor to crown and root.
And when he attacked that ol’ oak tree, my God, how the ground did shook!

When the old man kicked at the lumber, he uttered a laugh,
‘cause that poor oak tree just splintered right in half.
The master kicked at the lumber, and gave a big belly laugh,
Wouldn’t you know it that ol’ oak tree, just up and splintered in half.

Now that he was ready to do battle, the master turned around,
but discovered that the warrior was nowhere to be found.
The old man was ready for the duel, oh, but when he turned around,
He wasn’t surprised to discover that the young man had given up his ground.

The morale of this little tale is (they don’t teach this in no school):
You don’t get to be an old master by being no fool!
The morale of this little story, is one of life’s funny little rules:
You don’t get to be a Tang Soo Do master, oh, by being no fool!

No comments: