Friday, June 09, 2006

When Life Happens

This blog is hard to begin...

I originally meant to present a 2006 Black Belt camp wrap-up here, complete with highlights and praises for the master instructors who taught us all so much. But, life took a really strange and sad turn this past weekend. A good friend of mine suffered a loss on Sunday. In the interest of privacy, I will name my friend "P".

"P" is a fellow black belt and a very funny, generous, gregarious, outgoing person. I share a special bond with "P" because we received our black belts (or dan belts) at the same time, along with another friend whom I will call "R". Because "P", myself and "R" were promoted at the same time, we spent a lot of time training with each other. Every class, we assemble according to rank and dan number, I stood smack in the middle of both of them. We would often spur each other on during our training. We often joked together when the training was good, and when the training got really tough and I found myself at the end of my endurance, both "P" and "R" would cheer me on. They would give me enough energy to stay on my feet and finish in fine form. Such was the character of my friend "P".

We three had a lot of fun this weekend at Black Belt Camp. I hadn't seen my friends in almost a year, and it was a goodness to be with them and to feel their energy as I trained. It was like the old days. So it was quite a shock to go home all tired but exhilarated from a weekend of fun and fellowship and hear that "P" had a lost a dear family member. And it was quite painful to see my good friend, one of the happiest people I have ever met, so overcome with grief and loss. But as painful as this past weekend was, I was able to see my Tang Soo Do family come together in support of a dear friend. This weekend, I saw adults rally on a moments notice, without question to give our friend unconditional love. I saw Tang Soo Do children face grief and loss with a sense of compassion and maturity that belied their ages. I saw what makes Tang Soo Do so special that I want to start a club here in Ontario.

What I just wrote will never do justice to what I felt this past weekend. It's too big and too personal and too sad and too beautiful to describe. But the experience will always be remembered and honoured within.

Today, I send out all my love and energy to my friend "P". And I remain ever thankful that I am a member of the World Tang Soo Do Association.

1 comment:

History Student said...

haha took me a while to realize it was you who left that comment on my last blog entry. hahaha jokes on you I already know about the scapegoat thing...Geeks of the world unite! Dyslexics of the world...untie! Anyhoo, i forgot about your blog, i shall read it more often.
-Jordan