Monday, July 16, 2007

All Time Best: Movies That Helped Me Through Puberty

The Parent Trap, 1961



Ah, Hayley Mills... my first cinematic crush...
I remember when I first watched that movie, I thought two things: 1) I was convinced I was going to marry Hayley Mills; and 2) rich white people sure do have weird problems. Only white people would split up their twins as part of a divorce settlement. The Parent Trap is one of those movies that will never be remade with a black cast. Is that a sterotype? Maybe, imagine remaking Boyz In The Hood with white people. Just doesn't work.

Summer Lovers, 1982


The perfect "Skinemax" movie. To this day, I couldn't tell you what this movie is about. But this was my first exposure to a young Daryl Hannah, whom it seemed was determined to film every scene covered in a layer of cooking oil. (Ugh, my dog just farted as I was reminiscing about that movie. I guess I should move on...)


Return of the Jedi, 1983


Man, Jabba the Hutt was a pimp! He was like Tatooine's version of Snoop Dogg. Who else could get a intergalactic ambassador to dress in a silk and gold bikini?




Did he have to threaten to bitch slap her with his tail? Say what you will about Jabba, his pimp-hand was strong!



Risky Business, 1983



Between the train scene, and the famous "Old Time Rock and Roll" scene, I was at odds to figure out who was prettier: Rebecca De Mornay...

or Tom Cruise...



As a result, a young me was introduced to the concept of "sexual confusion"...

Fast Times at Ridgemont High, 1982


...which was promptly straightened out by this movie. The Phoebe Cates "pool scene" was a true highlight, but I also developed a long-term, annoyingly un-requited crush on Jennifer Jason Leigh.



Career Opportunities, 1991

Not one of John Hughes's best movies, but earns a special place on this list for one scene, and one scene alone: Jennifer Connelly on a coin-operated rocking horse!

A very powerful image, indeed. The day after I watched that movie, I noticed hairs in places that I never had hairs growing before....



Ha, ha... I know... gross...



Dirty Dancing, 1987


Patrick Swayze vs. Jennifer Grey? Again with the sexual confusion!


After watching this movie fans asked: Could the "Sawyze-dawg" get any hotter? Road House proved that answer was a resounding: "Yes!".


Bull Durham, 1988

Susan Sarandon should be declared a national treasure.


The Opening Title Sequence to Do the Right Thing, 1989

Rosie... my sweet Rosie Perez... The physical embodiment of global warming, Rosie was singularly responsible for raising the heat level in a movie about the hottest day in the summer. Made me want to move to Bed-Stuy, Do or Die!


If all the previous movies on the list represent cinematic crushes, Frankie and Johnny represents true love, in all its lovely, horrible, painful, redemptive glory. My favorite scene, is the one in the flower market, an unexpected garden of Eden in the midst of urban New York, where Al Pachino as Johnny is trying to convince Michelle Phiffer's Frankie to spend the night with him. The sound goes down and the music overtakes the dialogue, and I just was dying to know what he said to convince her. In my young mind, I always thought if I could figure out what Johnny said to Frankie that night, I could melt the heart of any girl in the world. One of the best movies ever!

No comments: