Friday, July 27, 2007

Fellow Traveler

I have a friend who gave a name to his smokes,
'cause when it comes to cigarettes this man don't joke.
He calls them "Fellow Travelers", and to me it's kinda funny
'cause he,
may or may not know that's what they used to call "commies".

But this man and the name, see, he really got me thinking,
the kinda deep thoughts I only get when drinking.
I had to take some time out to do the math,
and wonder: Who's my "Fellow Traveler" along life's path?

Now I'm a lucky man, I have family, friends and a wife,
who provide love and guidance as I make my way through life.
No disrespect to them, my "Fellow Traveler" is much more simple,
I'm not talking about people, I'm talking about a symbol.

My "Fellow Traveler" is sitting here beside my right hand.
It's a paperbook edition of Stephen King's The Stand.
I've had this copy ever since first year university,
and this old book has seen me through much adversity.

I've read it so many times that the cover's all torn,
the pages are all dog-eared and the spine is all worn.
I've tried to preserve in its semi-disintegrated state,
by covering the front and back pages with layers of Scotch tape.

Yeah, my book ain't mint, in fact it's quite a mess
But I find when life is hard, and things get kinda stressed,
I can pick up this old book and get lost between it's pages.
This book has helped me through some of life's tougher stages.

Its about the end of the world, and isn't that ironic,
that a book so scary can be a healing "soul tonic"?
Its about more than Armageddon, that's not what makes the story great,
Its all about men and women taking a Stand based on faith.

Call me a little crazy, but after I read a few chapters,
Whatever bothered me before, doesn't really matter.
I gain a sense of perspective (yes, I know that sounds like blather),
But I couldn't ask for more from my old "Fellow Traveler".

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

as I was reading this at the end I hoped you weren't going to say the Malcom X book, cause I still have it from university, and feel guilty everytime I see it. Sorry, I will return it to you.

Anonymous said...

oops that was me above, or should I keep you guessing.

Wily Jeneric said...

Ali, I think it's deplorable that your wife knit you socks but cleverly 'made them too small' so she'd have to keep them for herself. You should be outraged! Where's the fury? The anger? The argument? I don't care that she's knit you other socks, a vest, has other things to do. I wanna see some mad, marital disputing action between TNSaF and AHMoW (typing that makes me wonder - what's up with the two of you creating blogs with outrageously long titles?).

Smack down, baby! Smack down!