Friday, July 20, 2007

Harry Potter Blog - Waiting for Midnight

I haven't really done much since the last post. I made some supper, folded some laundry and generally hung out with my doggie. Teresa and I started watching The Da Vinci Code movie, which was not really that good. Given the quality of the source matter, I didn't expect much from the movie anyway. Dan Brown's book may be popular, but it really isn't that great of a book. It struck me as a book not so much written, as "plotted", and it's popularity has more to do with the premise than the story itself. A couple of things save the movie from being an outright disaster though:

One, Tom Hanks is a really good actor. A lot of his appeal stems from him being so likable. He's been describes as a modern day Jimmy Stewart, who had that same "everyman" quality, and you just can't help but root for him, even in crappy movies like You've Got Mail or Joe vs. the Volcano.


Two, Sir Ian McKellan's performance gives the film a much needed breath of fresh air. I really like his acting, he always seems to be enjoying it so much. Even in an exposition-heavy movie like this one, he hams it up enough to make his scenes fun.


Anyway, I paused the movie in mid-scene and left for the bookstore at about 10:40. As expected there was a major line up. Some people dressed up. There were many wizards, a "Hagrid" or two, and one creative guy dressed up as the car that Ron and Harry crashed up at the beginning of The Chamber of Secrets. I'll give points to the first person who can tell me the make and model of that car. Respond in the comments.


Anyways, I got the book, I've made some tea. It is now 1:00 AM and I shall start reading... now!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Tom Hanks is a good actor but the description of Robert Landing in the book does not depict him. When the movie came out, I remember much was said of his hair and now after having seen the movie, I agree. The stylist on the movie should have made him cut his hair.